Sunday, October 21, 2012

Just Sayin'

Generally, Sundays are meant for celebration, reflection, football, and catching up on Facebook posts (LOL).  It has been a long time since I posted in my blog but I figured it was time for a post.
Every once in a while I read something that catches my eye.  While I am still bound and determined not to discuss my personal political views, I do my best to respect those views of others even when the views turn to insults.  I guess that is why I am an independent.  Some would say that is because I can’t make up my mind.  I believe that it is because I’ve never believed that I should vote for someone just because of the party they are in (My mother may be shooting daggers at me from the heavens right now). 
Let’s face it folks, both the red and blue sides both have their share of idiots and people still vote for them simply because of the party they are in.  I must say, that in all the years of my voting life, I have never seen such a seething hate in people as I have regarding this upcoming election.  Many people have ideas about what to do and where this country should go.  If there is anything good that can come from what I have witnessed from the local to the national levels, is that an election year gets people talking.  The campaigning, however, brings out the worst in people, similar to reality TV shows.  I realize that there will always be the argument about people voicing their opinions.  It has been interesting to quietly view the opinions of my fellow Facebook friends who have voiced their opinions, comments, compliments, and insults. 
After this election, regardless of how it turns out, half of the country will be disappointed, and in some cases, bitter.  That being said, it is important for all of us to remember what is important, who is responsible for the condition of our country, when did the problems start, and what has TRULY been done by all of those in power to do something about it.  Are the people in power willing to help the person in charge or are they just working to do what they can to get (or keep) their choice in the White House.
I’m not about party.  I’m about what is right and best for this nation overall.  That is not always an easy thought to process.  .  This author of the post below is a supporter of our President.  The post in no way signifies which side of the aisle I lean towards.  I just thought it was one of the most interesting posts that I have read.

Let us not forget the "REAL" Statistics.  Romney says that "Obama has a record."  He's right.  Let's take a look: 

1. The Recession:  Obama, utilizing the policies started by the Bush Administration to try and reverse the recession and prevent a depression, has been successful.  Or should we have followed Hoover's plan....again?

2. The Debt: In the 1980's Reagan ran up massive deficits -- equal in today's dollars to the Obama deficits. It pulled us out of what was then the worst recession (remember the 'stagflation' of the 1970's) since the Great Depression. Obama is following that game plan, which has been a proven winner at least three times since the Depression: The New Deal, WWII and the Carter/Regan Recession. A better measure is what percentage of GDP is our debt? Nowhere near the record (WWII).

3. Health Care: We call ourselves the Greatest Nation in the world. A superpower. A moral, Godly nation (I get that thrown at me all the time). Well, where is the moral high ground in allowing 47 million people to go without health insurance? Obama passed a REPUBLICAN idea, implemented by a REPUBLICAN administration in Mass -- that the REPUBLICANS now want to dismantle? Why? Because it wasn't their idea?

4. Social Issues (Gay Marriage, Abortion, et. al). Simply stated: No matter what a person's beliefs are, in a FREE nation (or does the Bill of Rights only matter when it's your idea) the GOV'T had better have a damn compelling reason to interject itself into any person's life. Or do the 4th and 14th amendments only apply when we are comfortable with the behavior? The church will always have the ability to deny gays marriage within the church. To preach against abortion. The Gov't however is SEPARATE from the church -- or do Godly people forget that this country was built on SEPARATION of church and state? WE CAN'T force our religious opinions on those who do not share them.

Would our economy be stronger, faster, under a Romney / Ryan presidency? Probably. Freed from the shackles of gov't regulation designed to provide a level playing field that allows protections for small business, middle class people, and the poor -- corporations will make trillions. If you want that ... but have no rights when fired, denied health care, or even the escape hatch of bankruptcy (no Bankruptcy provision in the US Constitution -- and we've gone years in the past with no bankruptcy provision -- we did have debtor's prison though), then go ahead and cast your vote for Romney.

Want to repeal the 13th Amendment? Vote Romney. Want your wife and daughter to lose the vote, control over their bodies, and become chattle (property) again? Vote Romney. They represent the interests of absolute capitalism, absolute greed, no restraints class warfare, and imposition of a moral code that is as strict as anything Islam has to offer.

If you can take a slower economic recovery, enough gov't regulation to provide a stable jobs market for myself and your peers, and retention of protections under the new health care law (sorely overdue, and an issue for nearly 100 years now), as well as retention of constitutional protections and judicial protections of many of the social issues we've already seen ... then you can, even as a Godly person, only vote for Obama in this election cycle.

I welcome responses, but I will state to anyone who chooses to respond.  I state this to my high school students:  Have an opinion.  That is your right.  But also have a point, be respectful, be truthful, and above all, do your homework.  

No comments:

Post a Comment